The original location was in the main post office in Cleveland, Ohio. In 1980 the credit union moved to its own location on Eagle Avenue in Cleveland. Due to the Gateway Development, the credit union was forced to move to the current location at 1800 Carnegie Avenue, also in downtown Cleveland.
In 1993 the Cuyahoga County Employees Credit Union was merged into CPECU. The merger added many Select Employment Groups (SEGs) that had been part of the Cuyahoga County Employees Credit Union. Our current SEGs include: Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District; Cleveland MetroParks; City of Lakewood; City of Fairview Park; City of Bay Village; Metro General Hospital; Lakewood Hospital; Greyhound Lines; Cleveland Thermal Energy; Lossman Motors; Surety Title and Chicago Title.
In 2010, CPECU changed its name to Ohio’s First Class Credit Union; a move necessary to let the community know that OFCCU had obtained a community charter, which allows membership to all people who live, work, worship or attend school in Cuyahoga County.
In 2011, Lorain County Postal Employees Credit Union was merged into OFCCU. This merger added postal employees and all federal employees in Lorain County to our Field of Membership.
While OFCCU is extremely proud of its heritage and proud to serve our long-time postal and county members, OFCCU is also happy to welcome new members from throughout the community.